Public Reminded to Observe Ban on Open Burning as the Nation Marks the Fire Prevention Month



As the yearly Fire Prevention Month is observed this March, the EcoWaste Coalition enjoined the public not to burn household garbage, as well as garden or farm waste, during the dry and hot weather.

The zero waste advocacy group said that burning discards in the open can cause fire and pollution that can endanger people’s health and lives.

“Open burning, especially during the dry and hot season, can cause destructive fires in our communities, while permanently destroying resources that can be reused, recycled or composted and generating toxic smoke and ash,” said Ochie Tolentino, Zero Waste Campaigner, EcoWaste Coalition.

“Open burning can cause particulate matter pollution, as well as dioxin pollution, that can trigger illness, especially among young children, the elderly and people with chemical sensitivities.  Pollutants from open burning can also affect unborn fetuses,” she said.

“Because of its bad effects on health and the environment, national environmental laws and related local ordinances have rightly prohibited the open burning of garbage,” she said.

Tolentino cited Republic Act 9003, or the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act, and Republic Act 8749, or the Clean Air Act, as two major environmental laws banning and penalizing open burning.

Section 48 of RA 9003, in particular, lists “the open burning of solid waste” as one of the prohibited acts punishable with a fine of P300 to P1,000 or imprisonment for one to 15 days, or both.

To draw attention to this public health and environmental menace, the EcoWaste Coalition released a new poster that says “Stop Burning Garbage,” with a clear-cut reminder that “burning garbage produces toxic pollutants that can harm public health and the environment.”

Among these toxic contaminants resulting from open burning activities, especially when materials containing chlorine are burned, are byproduct dioxins and furans that are targeted for global reduction, if not elimination, under the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs).

Other open burning pollutants capable of contaminating the air and even our food sources include heavy metals such as arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury, greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, volatile organic compounds, formaldehyde, and fine particles or particulate matter.

These pollutants are known to cause a variety of health problems such as headaches, eye, throat and skin irritation, impaired respiratory functions, aggravated asthma and chronic bronchitis, heart attacks and even cancers, the EcoWaste Coalition warned.

The group encouraged all waste generators and regulators to  work for the "adoption of the best practice in ecological waste management excluding incineration" in keeping with the declared policies of R.A. 9003.

-end-

Reference:

http://www.pops.int/
https://www.epa.gov/dioxin/dioxins-produced-backyard-burning
https://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2001/ra_9003_2001.html

Comments

profamisi said…
My Testimony. I want to say a very Big thanks to Mr Hamisi Who help me join the illuminati Cult . I never knew illuminati was real but he provide it to me illuminati is real. And tell me things I needed to know/ do as a member to be my first benefits was 1 million u.s dollars a a car with a and monthly salary ,Mr Hamisi thanks to him for all he did for mine family and all thanks to lord superior, NOTE: Illuminati brings along wealth and famous in life, you have a full access to eradicate poverty away from your life now, Remember your destiny is in your hand's and only you can determined what it become, poverty and sorry dose not exist for those that join the illuminati and never you ignore a person who cares for you, because someday you’ll realize you’ve lost a diamond while you were busy collecting stones, interested kindly call or WhatsApp Mr Hamisi at contact Below: +27783477646
profamisi said…
HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF REAL AND EFFECTIVE SPELL FROM Hamisi My name is Olivia Jayden, I never thought I will smile again, My husband left me with two kids for one year, All effort to bring him back failed I thought I'm not going to see him again not until I met a lady called Jesse who told me about a spell caster called , She gave me his email address and mobile number and I contacted him and he assured me that within 48hours my husband will come back to me, In less than 48hours my husband came back started begging for forgiveness saying it is the devils work, so I'm still surprise till now about this miracle,i couldn't conceive but as soon as the spell was cast,i became pregnant and gave birth to my third child,if you need any assistance from him you can contact him via: WhatsApp or call him now: +27783477646